Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Having Company

I read in a Feng Shui book last year that a person should get rid of all their houseplants whose leaves hang down. Yep. All of them. I don't have enough fingers and toes on which to tally up how many house plants I have killed over the years but for the first time in history I have healthy houseplants. And their leaves all hang down.

We moved last summer to a home whose livingroom window faces south. My plants love that southern exposure. Now I don't know if house plants read books or what but shortly after we moved in my Heart Leaf Philodendron sent up a shoot that continued to grow upwards instead of hanging down like its brothers and sisters. I thought about cutting it off but decided to let it lean against the wall all it wanted. I figured sooner or later gravity would prevail and it would fall over and follow the pack. It appears the joke is on me.

After Christmas my quarterly "have-to-move-furniture-around" chant started and we were going to move the enterainment centre that this plant was on. I went to move old heart leaf and found that the sucker was now stuck to the wall. Yep. That little old shoot not only reached all the way to the ceiling but beside every heart leaf there were these tiny little feet that glued the vine to the wall. I could've waited forever before this branch hung its head and played follow the leader. The entertainment centre stayed put and the plant is now making its way across the ceiling towards the light. It's good to have company on the journey.

No comments: