Friday, August 25, 2006

Walking in the Dark

Dearest one and I went for a walk last night when the sky was nearly dark. I am afraid of the dark. Dearest one isn't. I asked him if he was afraid of us meeting up with a bear. He laughed and said, "no." The other day when I was home alone I heard the dogs barking at something and I heard something make noise in return. I was too scared to go look. Dearest one has imitated a bear for me since then so I can tell next time when a bear is coming to check out my house. Boy, just typing all that makes my heart speed up. I think I am paranoid about bears. But this is bear country. Last summer a friend turned out our driveway to find a bear standing on its hind legs trying to scare her vehicle away. On the road where dearest one and I go for our walks.

When we were newlyweds we put our names in for homestead land. Yes, when we were newlyweds there was still homestead land to be had in our neck of the woods. The only thing I said to dearest one was that if I saw a bear on that land the deal was off. We drove onto the land just as a bear ran across the road in front of us. Ha. Actually we took our name off the homestead draw after we figured out how much money we were going to have to spend before we saw a dime back in profit. Lucky bear.

I ran out of steam the other night before we were home. By then it was dark. Dearest one asked me if I wanted him to go get the car. Before this I have always stubbornly said no. I will hang onto him so I don't fall down sooner than say yes to a car ride home. That night I had to choose between my fear of the dark/bears/things that go 'bump' in the night and getting home. I just couldn't summon the energy to walk another step so he went and got the car.

I am pleased to report no bear came and ate me while I waited I made it home safely.

No comments: