Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Heating Pad Pug

At one point here since midnight it was -55C with the windchill factored in. The power was out for three hours mid day. I went and started the van in case I had to drive to a neighbour's who had wood heat. It was a hard call to know at what point was it less risky to get in a vehicle and drive or stay in a increasingly colder house. I turned the burners on the gas stove on and that helped.

Energizer Bunny was a great heating pad as well.

We're over the worst of the cold weather. Perspective is a funny thing. It's only going to be -35C tonight.

Stay warm.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sheesh. Somebody left the door to the north wide open and I sure wish they'd shut it! Enough with the cold already! -55!?!?! Glad you made it through, Hope. We're freezing our you-know-whats here, too.
Mich

Heidi Renee said...

Every time I moan about it being cold out east here I think of you guys on the prairies...

I'm so glad you're safe and warmer! And that you've got company! Did you know that candles are a great source of heat too - I've got so many in my living room I think we bump the temperature a good 10* when we light them all!

Does kerosene affect your lungs? It does mine, but I think I'd suffer an allergy attack if the power was out.

Peter said...

Hmm, has Neeka got a new name to go along with her heating properties?

Soon, I'll be taking Sheba out for her walk--it's -45 C wind chill...

HeyJules said...

Brrr...and I thought WE were having a rough winter!

Anonymous said...

Unbelievable. And I thought 8degrees (Farenheit) windchill was cold!

(I really had no idea how -55C was until just now when I did the conversion. 8 Farenheit is -13C by comparison. Holy smokes!)

gracie said...

I'm a little confused... I thought that all North Americans measured temperature in Farenheit. Of course, I understand celsius much better. Do you really mean it was -55deg celsius??? I can't even imagine it that cold. Today was 36C in Sydney and a couple of weeks ago I was in Melbourne, it was 42 degrees celsius!! HOT HOT.
I'm glad it's warming up for you, Hope.

Peter said...

No, Gracie: the United States is the lone holdout in an otherwise metric world (Canada changed over in the 1960s).

And yes, when we say -55 Celsius, we mean Celsius. Our windchill yesterday was -45 Celsius here in northwestern Ontario.