Monday, August 25, 2008

Icing On The Cake

"So what are your plans for the day," my older sister asks me this morning.
We're settled in comfy chairs at the bed and breakfast 10 minutes down the road from my place.
"A walk, some yoga, some writing and a nap."
"Oh God, a nap," my younger sister groans.
She has a 10 hour drive ahead of her today, with 5 kids ranging in age from 10 to 16 in the van with her. That's enough to make anyone groan even with terrific kids like hers.

But here I am, typing away at the public library in the city an hour's drive further down the road. When I got back home from saying goodbye to my parents and sisters, nieces, nephews and brother-in-law, dearest one asked if I'd like to come to town with him. He had a few things to do at the office and then we could go for lunch and buy some groceries. We've hardly seen each other in the past three days. And not without other people in the mix, except at night when we fell into bed exhausted, hardly aware of the other person. That's what happens in a king size bed - you can sleep and roll over and not know you have a bedmate. Dearest one said a few times during the night he reached over and then reached over further to see if I was still in bed.

The office work is done, lunch is finished and dearest one is sleeping for a bit in the van. This is the third day in a row he's had a migraine and the last day for a week that he can take migraine medication. Three days running is the limit before side effects make it dangerous to ingest any more. I hope that with getting back to a regular routine he'll be pain free tomorrow. He asked if I'd park the van somewhere while he had a nap and slept enough until the medication kicked in.

So here I am.
A library is my second favourite place in the world.
The first is home.

Libraries have always been a safe, comforting haven for me. And today I picked up 5 books, in less than a minute, from the new books shelves. That's like icing on the cake to an already great day.

I do look forward to waking up tomorrow, making my way into the kitchen and fixing breakfast. I'll carry it into the office and eat it while I write a blog post. Then the energizer bunny and I will go for a walk.

Life is good.
Very, very good.

4 comments:

owenswain said...

Thank God for the wonderful ordinary.

Anonymous said...

Hmm, a week or so ago you predicted that you would be laying in bed exhausted on Monday. I am so glad you had such nice visit with your family. Sounds like you got your batteries charged in more ways than one.

daisymarie said...

I love libraries too! I'm glad you have enough energy and spoons to even be thinking about doing so much. Hugs!

annie said...

I feel the same way about libraries. One of the first "me" things I did at my new job was to walk over to the library and check several books out. The wonderful thing is, I can keep them for the semester, so I don't have to worry much about overdue books!