Friday, December 05, 2008

One Step Is All It Takes

"Insight isn't change and words are not behaviour."

~ Believing in Myself

That sentence was in my daily readings yesterday. It brought me back to a time 20 years ago when a good friend came over and found me sitting in a chair surrounded by chaos. I told her I was praying for some inspiration to start cleaning. She looked at me and said, "You have to get up out of the chair and then God can inspire you." I'm sure my mouth dropped open in disbelief. That sure was a new thought to me. Many times since then I've found if I just take some kind of action, change happens. That action may be turning a heart wrenching situation over to God, it may be getting up physically and doing something, whatever it is, the action instigates change of some kind, most likely a change in my attitude.

This morning I'm headed to town where I have a few errands to run and then a therapy appointment. Dearest one and I are going out for lunch afterwards. I don't know how it is for you, but for me it's the littlest things in life that bring me the most joy. And that kind of change, the one where for today I'm not looking for life to go according to my plan in order to be happy, or for big things to happen in order to find joy, is the best change of all. Thanks be to God.

7 comments:

Wait. What? said...

Wonderful post - I agree - if we try to move and shake - somehow the spirit will hit us to put our hearts into it!

Christy said...

Amen.

I was in despair for years, looking for God to fix me, or Oprah to fix me, or reading hundreds of self-help books, but until I went back to school, it got me nowhere.

owenswain said...

God helps those who help themselves. It's not in the bible in that chapter and verse kind of way. It's theologically inaccurate as stated. But none the less it's true. Glad you got out of the chair.

Pammie said...

girl...action is always the key, and it takes me SO LONG to realize it everytime.

steveroni said...

That's GREAT! Action generates the spirit to do more action.

Sr Rose Gertrude in Grade ONE at St Dominic School, told us, in her motherly-fashioned sing-songy voice, "Children...Well Begun Is Half Done."

And isn't that the truth?

mile191 said...

thanks for sharing, and for the positive kind words you left me. i feel like i am where you mentioned, sitting and letting the chaos pile up around me. i know that courage is an action, and that is what i am willing to do. courage to act, courage to heal, courage to hope.

thanks. ♥

Peter said...

God is in the details, Kiddo.