Sunday, June 20, 2010

Crazy Shit

I was driving to town yesterday feeling incredible gratitude for this beautiful summer convinced I've never appreciated it like I do this year. The thought flitted through my head that such gratitude and awareness must mean this will be my last summer. That's how my brain works.

I know.
Crazy shit.

This morning as I was watering my flowers (aren't they pretty?) I was thinking about that again and realized it was just a different take on that belief which drives me crazy ~ that life is so good, too good, so it must surely come crashing down soon. Whenever I hear other people talk like that I run around in circles in my head screeching NO at the top of my lungs. It's shitty theology to believe that God will surely heap misery on their heads because they're enjoying life as it is. It was a good come uppance to realize I still think like that, too. It had just shape shifted a bit so I couldn't recognize it as easily.

So I'm going to enjoy my flowers and the summer and leave it at that. There are people close to me fighting for their lives this summer that I am hyper aware of the gift of life and shitty theology. I am so grateful that AA teaches God is a loving God.

I chaired a business meeting yesterday and watched as it triggered my need-to-keep-everyone-happy button. I didn't realize it was still so present and willing to take front and center stage. Someone seemed offended at a group decision and shut down instantly. So instantly that they never said another word all meeting nor in the meeting after that. When they left as soon as we were done saying the Lord's prayer I had to stifle the urge to run after them and try to make it okay. I wanted to take responsibility for their shutting down. The anxiety I felt at not making it all better escalated somewhat and I had to really work at letting go of it and keeping to my side of the street. Chairing business meetings is not my favourite thing to do. I realized yesterday that I consider I've done a good job only if there is no conflict.

I know.
Crazy Shit.

It is a gift that we keep getting opportunities to recognize crazy shit. And hopefully the pile of it gets smaller every time the same shit appears on my radar screen. Once I told Fr. Charlie that it seemed like I kept dealing with the same shit different pile and he told me that I was further along on the journey and seeing it from a different perspective now. At that time I thought the goal was to eliminate crazy shit altogether.

I sat here this morning and enjoyed my breakfast while listening to a chorus of song birds greet the day. When I went to sleep last night after midnight there were still remnants of the setting sun filtering through the trees. Now that is not crazy shit. To me it's a piece of heaven.

7 comments:

Melissa said...

You have such a lovely and uncanny way of articulating the ideas and ponderings that tumble around in my head that I can't seem to get down in print. Thank you for that.

Enchanted Oak said...

It's inspiring and comforting to know that even as the sober years stack up, the head of the alcoholic is still able to do crazy-making things.
Thanks.

Kathy Lynne said...

I've got that button too...getting better and locking it...but it still gets pushed...

Peter said...

Consider yourself a work-in-progress.

Unknown said...

I love this post it is so true how it all works together and it can be "crazy shit" it's from the bloggers and folks in meetings that I learn I am not alone and that thankfully there is another way...enjoy your flowers and days!!!!!

Marla said...

I hate that I think that way too. I am always waiting to get what I deserve.... a lightening bolt!

Great post!!

Catherine said...

Ah, I am so glad I have been reading your stuff- out of order as it may be.
Tonight at a meeting, as at many meetings, I became uncomfortable and squirmy as someone's share became unbearably lengthy. Like I alone was responsible for everyone else's discomfort about the long share.

That is crazy shit. What is not crazy is a beautiful carousel ride with my daughter today.

Your comments about God... I will keep learning from them, I hope.